Create an account

Benson Honey Farms

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Naughty Nuns, Flatulent Monks, and Other Surprises

Naughty Nuns, Flatulent Monks, and Other Surprises of Sacred Medieval Manuscripts

Weird Medieval Marginalia

Flipping through an illustrated manuscript from the 13th century, you’d be forgiven for thinking that Jesus loved a good fart joke. That’s because the margins of these handmade devotional books were filled with imagery depicting everything from scatological humor to mythical beasts to sexually explicit satire. Though we may still get a kick out of poop jokes, we aren’t used to seeing them visualized in such lurid detail, and certainly not in holy books. But in medieval Europe, before books were mass-produced and reading became a pastime for plebes, these lavish manuscripts were all the rage—if you could afford them. The educated elite hired artisans to craft these exquisitely detailed religious texts surrounded by all manner of illustrated commentary, known today as marginalia.

http://www.collectorsweekly.com/articles...nuscripts/

[Image: tumblr_m7k5173O461rqxd5ko1_1280.jpg]

““Marginalia helps us recognize that medieval society was as complex as our own.”

[Image: phallus-tree.jpg]

All those poor monks and nuns! All work and no play makes what?   ;)

CBD Distillery Quality Products

Filthy little scriveners never knew when to shut up! 

[Image: screen-shot-2013-01-05-at-07-29-46.png]

BTW, I wouldn't kiss that ass. The symbolism of a good kiss on the ass is just too high a price to pay. They always crap and fart right in your face. And that, my friends, is just plain insulting!

:hangingfromastar:  :hangingfromastar:  :hangingfromastar:  :hangingfromastar:  :hangingfromastar:

:rofl:

[Image: 5cc9ffac4b9c33b51bec061c65cdec0d.jpg]

:drinking:

Blow it out your ass!

[Image: EjAssvL.jpg]

Play that tune loud.

:D

:bumpsmall:

How did a scholar look at one manuscript and say, “This is great because it was made by women” and then look at another manuscript and say, “This is terrible because it was made by women”?

http://the-toast.net/2014/05/20/nuns-and-medieval-art/

[Image: piggyback.jpg]

Two Monks Inventing Things

From the year 800 AD to 1450 the entirety of Europe’s approach to painting was “It’s impossible to know what an animal looks like, just draw a guy’s head on it.” This is their story.

MONK #1: what do lions look like in the face, i mean what do their faces look like

MONK #2: worried

[Image: worried-lion-296x300.jpg]

http://the-toast.net/2014/03/11/two-monks-invent-art/

Rolleyes

you are all a bunch of sick twisted swagaholics.

Quote:you are all a bunch of sick twisted swagaholics.

Oh please, lighten up Nancy. You didn't have to click on it. At least you have something to complain about. 

:P

Interesting thread. It lead me to this picture and I got to wondering...

[Image: voynich-8.jpg]

This image isn't a margin drawing. It comes from the Voynich Manuscript. It's interesting as in it kind of looks like a connection point of some kind. The woman standing in water symbolizing the synapse connection. But, it looks like only half the connection is made: Shouldn't there be a man standing in the water fountain with his arms extended into the two other tubes too?

Quote: 

Interesting thread. It lead me to this picture and I got to wondering...

[Image: voynich-8.jpg]

This image isn't a margin drawing. It comes from the Voynich Manuscript. it kind of looks like a connection point of some kind. The woman standing in water symbolizing the synapse connection. But, it looks like only half the connection is made: Shouldn't there be a man standing in the water fountain with his arms extended into the two other tubes too?

It isn't what can be seen in the image but what isn't there. Perhaps, it's describing an inhibitor of sorts to prevent a full connection. Is this an auditory diagram or a visual one? Maybe, a connection to something else?

Huh