Create an account

CBD Distillery Quality Products

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Why Didn't North American Indians Develop Alcoholic Beverages

Yes, there are several other tribes who did develop mild alcoholic beverages such as the Aztecs having pulque. But, what about natural fermentation from the sugar bearing fruits and berries.  How come no wine was developed?  Nothing substantial in strong drinking spirits of that nature.  I can't seem to find any tradition involving the process of making spirits before Columbus.

My Pillow 2 Has Arrived

Quote:Alcohol is not good on the hunt. Besides wasn't there other forms of 'strong spirit'?  Peyote was used as means to enter the spirit world from what I hear.

[Image: pIRxb2.gif]

:)

There are all kinds of natural things that can induce different states in the mind and the body:

Use of Caffeinated Drink in pre-Columbian North America

The discovery – made by analyzing plant residues in pottery beakers from Cahokia and its surroundings – is the earliest known use of this ‘black drink’ in North America. It pushes back the date by at least 500 years, and adds to the evidence that a broad cultural and trade network thrived in the Midwest and southeastern U.S. as early as 1050 CE.

[Image: image_512_1.jpg]

Europeans were the first to record the use of what they called ‘the black drink’ by Native American men in the southeast. This drink, a dark tea made from the roasted leaves of the Yaupon holly, Ilex vomitoria, contains caffeine.

http://www.sci-news.com/archaeology/article00512.html

My Pillow 2 Has Arrived

Europeans had a form of LSD at the time.  It was called ergot and caused much misunderstanding.  Especially from the ones NOT influenced by the drug.

My Pillow 2 Has Arrived

Is it true there was no strong drink in North America?  I figure since fermenting berries and grains and corn comes natural.  All they really missed was the means to distill it into something stronger. The only native American crops which are commonly used for alcohol production are corn and potatoes and they're both used in making distilled spirits. 

My Pillow 2 Has Arrived

My Pillow 2 Has Arrived

It figures. a society, even a small one, needs to stay in one place long enough to even distill strong alcohol.  It takes time to make the good stuff!

[Image: 6032d519850aa2c617ca3702aee371ba.jpg]

My Pillow 2 Has Arrived

Quote:Europeans had a form of LSD at the time.  It was called ergot and caused much misunderstanding.  Especially from the ones NOT influenced by the drug.

grapes were there in some areas. don't forget about honey; mead can be made from that.  you can make beer from just about any grain. 

:)

Quote:.

:D

My Pillow 2 Has Arrived

Injections of sugar, molasses, and rum.

Give the Native Americans Alcohol and cheap guns - That worked its own will on the destruction within the native societies!

It worked in the sense that it helped contribute to their 'delinquency' in any form of participation in the power that conquered them. 

It wouldn't have mattered in any case. TPTB would never have allowed 'savages' any chance of authority in their realm of domination.

My Pillow 2 Has Arrived

So the commerce and trade contributed to the delinquency of the natives. Considering they never drank hard liquor before the discovery of the new world. Kind of like today with all the new drugs being developed to keep people in line.  More for profit, I think, than helping people.

My Pillow 2 Has Arrived

They got spammed big time

My Pillow 2 Has Arrived